Thursday, January 1, 2009

OSIM Corporate Tri... 2008


The guys in the office had been talking about this tri thingy for a few years now... I believe it was back in 2006... back then I heard they formed 2 teams.. and I heard that thiam wah almost died of a heart attack doing the cycling bit.. in 2007.. they were again looking for participants.. but I wasn't too keen... I didn't have a bike then!

This year... was different.. the Kula came into my life in 13thJune 2008.. and it was a Friday too! It was suppose to be a father's day present for myself... a present to get me to start cycling..

I bought it also.. because I knew that Daniel had 2 bikes.. and so did Ronald.. I would not be short of cycling partners... I was wrong.. but that would be on another blog..

back to the tri..

Preparation was tough.. only 3 months to cut my timing down to <40mins..>, I spend several sessions on the slopes of Mt Faber and also started coastal riding. But 2 weeks before the competition, I had a very bad bout of flu and I was out of action for about a week. When I got back on the saddle, I felt alot weaker and my lungs just didnt had the capacity it use to.

I still remember race day. All of us were so hopeful, Alvin was a great swimmer and Catherine was a pretty good runner, so getting a top 10 finish was looking really good on the cards. We had a strategy to play fresh legs on the transitions, to hopefully shave precious time by providing fresh legs during the transition of the tags.. alas! We did not practise enough, and in actually wasted more time! Here's what happened... Alvin will cross the bridge where he will pass the tag to Catherine who will run to me to pass me the tag... I would be waiting for her at the beginning of the bike out area... unfortunately, the bike out area was very crowded, (the others were also adopting this same strategy!) and she missed me, and she actually ran up and down twice! The transition took a murderous 5 mins! when actually it should be a 1 minute affair... shame shame shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment