Friday, January 9, 2009

10th January 2009


It was just like any ordinary early Saturday morning. The heavens were kind enough not to have poured, afterall, we are still in the monsoon season in this side of the planet.
545am... and I am at the usual spot at the car-park. I had a rough night.. slept at 1am, and woke up hourly, and I just didnt feel rested. Many things were on my mind, my job status, my obsession with the R3, something which I can afford but just don't feel that I should get it now.

Morris was the second to arrive and then came Ronald. We limbered up, stretching, warming up, hoping to shake off whatever sleepiness there is in the system. Yew Fei was late, but it was okay, as long as someone is coming, we usually will wait.

I was still feeling slightly sore from the chin-up exercises that I did on Wednesday. Strange, that its taking so long to heal. I need to get myself ready for the IPPT on Friday, my absolute last chance of getting $200 from the Government. I'm pretty sure that with the running, I should be able to get it. But I have been training my chin-ups and my sit-ups.. better condition myself over the weekend!

The cool East Coast breeze whistled pass the helmet straps near my ears and instinctly I could feel my thighs cringing in fear as the volume of the whistle was a good indication of how hard the head wind would be. On monsoon Coastal rides, its almost certain that riders would be facing a strong headwind as they made their way to Changi Point, a good 25km away...

I was too familiar with this coastal ride, every nook and cranny, when to surge ahead and when to coast, I've even have a stretch which I have so fondly christianed the "Paris-Roubaix'' stage. Its a short 800-900 stretch of cobbled stone road, which is essential a park connector from Bedok. My aim was to hit 32-34 on this stretch.

Today's first leg was great for me. I was alot stronger compared to the 1st 2 rides that I had earlier this week. I realised that its essential to at least cycle 3 times a week. How am I going to achieve this if/when I should start working ? Sad.

On the actual Coastal rode, I actually overtook a roadie, my constant speed above 30km/h certainly was proving fomidable. I guess it was alittle too early, as there weren't any Tri guys or groupies.. I lost Ronald at the T-junction towards coastal.. surely I can't be that fast?

Of course not! Apparently Morris had a flat and it was Ronald to the rescue. I was unaware of that, and I continued to hammer on, keeping constant cadence... and trying not to lose speed... I was finding my balance point and at the same time the right pressure for the pedals, I realised that it was around 29-30km/h, 2nd smallest cog... it came effortlessly..

45 mins later. There I was at rendevous point. Not smashed to the point of no return, but the thighs were alittle stiff...

I ordered my favourite comfort food, my $3 bak chor mee with no fried wanton, no chilli, just tomato ketchup. Today, he decided to give me alittle more of the ketchup, everything was sweeter. Had my usual Ice coffee (the caffeine is really good for the ride back!) and the group finally arrived when I finished seeping up the last remaining drop of my pick-me-up'per.

Surprise surprise, ET and Kelvin showed up as well, they were on the way to Ubin, Ronald call them the TITUS gang. I would have joined them if it wasnt for the Mobilisation in the afternoon.

The ride back was phenomenon. It's probably got to do with the ice coffee. Because I merely took 44 mins to get back... The route back was more than 20km as well... as I was really sub-90 mins for the 40km... it was a PB... and on a mountain bike as well..

On hindsight, its got to be how the week's riding that helped. Sat was to be my 3rd ride.. and I certainly felt stronger. Like I said before, it would have to be at least 3 times a week to see any improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment