Thursday, February 12, 2009

Goodbye my friend...

Its only been less than a year.. and yet.. the end was inadvertable. Bought on 13th June 2008, as a Father''s Day present to myself.. it rekindled much of my childhood or maybe even my teenage passion to ride. It was to power me through to my first Bicycle competition. And it had served me well on the trails both at Tampines and Bukit Timah as well. Then came the Titus and now the Gallium. It had no place in the small stable. Fast as it may be, it can never be a match to the stiffness of carbon and in terms of weight, there will be little advantage in keeping her.

Sad as it is, the decision has been made to sell her. The wheelset was the first to go, and Wilson has been really kind to allow his Mechs to stripe out most of her parts. One by one they will be sold. The Chris King headset, the crankset, the brakes, slowly going to new homes, where hopefully, they will be able to serve well and continue to be of use.


The end of an era is the ushering of a beginning of a new one.. and this is where the Gallium PRO will come in... honestly, I was more of a Cervelo person, wanting like crazy to order it from the US, but in the end, common sense got the most out of me, perhaps thanks to the ever cynical Ronald, who never failed to blast me with fire and brimstones, making it more bearable when compared to Sodom and Gomarrah! (ha!) anyway, many factors sublimed into this choice and one of them was Wilson from TEF. Nice bloke.. and from how the deal was finally transpired, I've decided to lend him my fullest support.


I wanted to Gallium Pro not because I wanted a PRO bike, in fact, I didnt even know what the heck was a PRO bike.. eventually, I found out.. that a PRO bike had very demanding geometry.. CRAP! I wanted the Gallium Pro, more for its weight! Anyway, its weight is bloody amazing.. the scales were out of batt at TEF! So I would have to weigh it another time.. BUT as it is, I need to go back there again, when my saddle arrives.. right now, I have the ugliest test saddle on the sexiest bike that I have ever laid eyes on! The Fulcrum Racing 3's are ABSOLUTELY killer looking! 18 spokes in the front and 24 at the back.. how they still feel stiffer than my mountain bike ones.. I can only imagine...

Still, getting onto a PRO geometry bike, would be a step up from normal road bikes, but not as demanding as a TT or Tri-bike.. so I guess, its about getting used to and training.. great.. with only 5 days to the OCBC.. not very wise..



No comments:

Post a Comment