Monday, May 4, 2009

May Day... is a good day...

Even before the alarm went off.. I was already awake.. I was excited that the group was going to try a new route.. Upp. Bukit Timah to Kranji... it was suppose to be a 60km ride...

It was going to be Full Attendence, only without ET and his BIL. ET was to attend to his other love.. understandable.. if I had been given the permission, I would have done...

Kuen decided to do the crazy thing and cycle to rendevous point, I decided to drive as I had more riding to do for the weekend. Arrive at the CP, and everyone was there! I was the last, but I wasn't late.

Kuen, Leng, Ben, Maurice, Kel, Tim, Ron, Yew Fei & me... 9 riders in toll... it was fun. Down the stretch of Upp. BT, turning off to Upp Thomson, towards Mandai .... it was hilly.... after about 20km, I was disorientated, this was pass Mandai, was about to turn left and go back down to Upp BT, was chided by the guys behind, for being a quitter, a quick glance at my speedo, and I realised that it was only 20km! There was more to come, it was suppose to be a Right turn instead, towards, Woodlands and then on to Neo Tiew and Alma Keng and then back down to CCK...

It was a spirited ride... my wheels were rolling very fast..everytime I coasted down, I was able to catch up... I was pondering whether my bike was more aerodynamic? I guess the fact that I am heavy also helped! I coasted next to Ronald and commented that either I am really aerodynamic or my bike is.. and he said, that when I did the aero tuck, all he could see was this big fat ass.. my reply to him was, 'well at least it was an AERO ass!' hahaha...

The ride towards and through out Neo Tiew was magnificient... we passed NSRCC Kranji, the air was so cool, i think it was like 25-26 degrees C? Then the sight that we saw, the BBC radar fields, and mist on the wet vegetables... and the dam which on the opposite side is Malaysia.. it was beautiful, breathtaking even. I remembered an invitation of an Indian friend, to go ride in his country... he leaves about 50 miles from the Taj Mahal.. I'm wondering if I should go for a riding adventure?

In Neo Tiew, the winding roads were alot of fun, but have to watch out for the cars. In hindsight, doing this ride in the early morning is a great idea. Out of Neo Tiew, the descent is pretty steep and dangerous, the junction is heavily used by construction vechicles, and that means alot of sand and debris on the road, turning at high speeds and mean danger. Once the group hit the Alma Keng straights, we decided to do a little paceriding.. and it was such a sight to behold, 9 riders pacing and drafting... too bad, the straights was too short.

All in all, it was a fantastic ride. I totally enjoyed myself and so did the group. We're definitely going to do this again, and this time, hopefully ET and Nick can join us.

In all, it was only 55km... when I asked Ronald where did the other 5km go? His reply was, '60km is from my house!'... very typical answer from Ronald.

No comments:

Post a Comment