Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Speedidida, speedididum....

Nothing feels more alive... than the cool early morning breeze against your face as you cycling against the breeze. The sun has yet to rise.. and already some of those early birds and chirping and flying around.. as if to wake to sun up..

Another morning, another chance to cycle and add the kilometres to my cycling log. As the kilometres begin to pile on my odometer, I could feel a sense of pride and joy, simultaneously, as my legs pounded on my pedals to spin the crank... revolution after revolution, as I strain my ears to hear the sound of my whirling wheels and the wind against the straps on my helmet.

Down the stretch of Cecil street.. it was quiet but brightly lit. In the afternoons, the street will be feel with hundreds of people walking around and cars and buses zipping by.. but at 5am in the morning... I have the road all to myself... pass Cecil street and towards the Esplanade, a quick glance to my right, and I am always capivated by the sight of the Singapore river... 20 revolutions of my pedals and I see myself entering Nicholl highway... here is where my turbo boosters come alive.. keep my head low.. shoulders still... I imagined my legs to be large and animated pistons as I powered across the Medeka bridge.... stride for stride.. the wind starts to howl pass my ears as I start to pick up speed...

Its been a couple of months, cycling down this stretch.. but it never fails to bring so much joy. I believe only a joy that can only be enjoyed while we are still capable to cycle... I dredge to think what would have happen to me as age starts to claim my abilities.. times when I think about those thoughts, all the more I find myself, wanting to be stronger and healthier... I guess, there will come a time, when I am no longer able to spin the crank like I am spinning em now.. but as long as I try them now... at least when the time comes to relinguish my capabilities, I still have my memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment