Thursday, May 7, 2009

Brutal.. but friend shine through..

I was looking forward to the Wednesday ride with the small group of frens that will turn up. ET and his BIL, and there will be Tim and Kin. Unfortunately, Kin was so messed up by that soccer match followed by Monday's ride... he was still sore..

Wednesday itself presented quite a challenge, work was phenomenally inspirational, the sharing was good and everyone left the workshop with something precious. The feedback was gold. But the worrying part for me was, since I have been standing up and walking around.. how would my legs hold up? I used the insoles that mom gave me... Stellar performance!! Only problem is.. its squeaks!! Gotta fix that!

Back home in time, suit up, and out I went.. to meet the rest of the guys..ride through town was brutal... traffic was bad, spend most time, waiting to cross roads... esp towards Spottiswood park.. terrible! Then it is the cross to Shenton Way... but that's a very small headache.. once on Shenton way to cecil street, it was alot better. Due to the bus lanes of course... but on Esplanade drive.. another headache.. Cars, buses.. writing this down, i can't imagine that I actually rode there! When I was riding then, the adrenalin must have masked the potentially hazardous riding and traffic conditions. Its about a rider being among road and vehicles whose drivers'mindset is that roads are only for cars and such.. and no place for bikers.

Anyway, God's journey mercy was with me, once on the Nicoll HW, I was even able to aerobar for a while. At Merdeka bridge, I cross under.. and at Stadium, it was deserted. Crossed the beautiful and new bridge.. and down that awfully crowded and unfrenly Tanjung Rhu road, and that right turn towards East Coast Park and Rendevous Point is ALWAYS potentially Dangerous.. you havet to alwasy watch out for the mad one, rushing to join back the ECP towards Airport. Anyway... met the guys in under 30 mins. Quite a feat. Of course, on the Sat early morning, it would be sub 20 mins... due to traffic conditions.

The ride to CP was brutal. I thought that my feet were fine. But the thigh muscles were not. In fact, my muscles were very very tired. During the ride, they were tired, and they were pumped up too early. I started to ache very badly.. worse... my head started to pound.. the headaches were so intense, I had to stop the paceline riding. I dropped back... while the rest pushed on. It was bad.. immediately, I knew that I should never do a ride after my workshops. It would be too punishing.

Once at CP, we had a great time, eating and chatting. Tim shared about his fren Marcus, how he was cured from Stage 4 cancer and is now resting at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment